Tracking Part Cores
The RTA system has the ability to track part cores and credits. Implementing the core-tracking system is easy, and it can save your fleet thousands of dollars each year.
- Add the core part records into inventory
- Link the primary parts to their core parts
- Order parts on purchase orders in the usual manner; order core parts when vendors apply core charges
- Post parts on work orders in the usual manner; expense core charges to vehicle as applicable
- Order negative core quantities on purchase orders when cores are returned to vendors; receive the cores as credits are issued from vendors
- Periodically review the core part list
Adding a Core Part into Inventory
To add a core part into inventory, do the following:
- Select Master > Part > File Maintenance from the RTA main menu (MPM).
- Enter information for the core just as you would when adding a part, except for the items noted in steps 3 and 4. Refer to "Adding a Part" for instructions if needed.
- Set the Part type to CORE.
- Clear the Stock checkbox to flag the part as a non-stocked part. This prevents a requisition from being generated when the part is saved and when inventory gets low. When it comes to cores, low or no inventory is a good thing!
TIP: To separate cores from your regular inventory, use a prefix of "ZZ" for the part number, description, and bin location. This naming convention makes it easy to exclude cores when printing reports by part or bin number range. Alternatively, if you want to see the part and core listed together, you can use add a suffix of "CORE" to the part number and description.
Linking a Part to its Core Part
Once a core has been added to the system, it must be linked to the primary part record.
- Bring up the primary part record (MPM).
- Select the Tracking Options tab.
- Select the Track core parts checkbox and enter the associated core part number or press F1 to select the core part from the lookup list.
- Save the changes made in the part record.
This quick process not only links the part to the core, but it also automatically links the core to the part by filling in the primary part number in the Core Part Tracking section. The Track warranty, Stocked, and Chargeable checkboxes are also disabled in the core part record since they are no longer applicable.
Purchasing Parts with Core Charges
When a part with a core is purchased from a vendor, the invoice generally contains two charges: one for the part and the other for the core. The two charges should be reflected the same way on the purchase order. Let's suppose you have a battery and its core set up and are purchasing more batteries for inventory.
- Add a line for the battery purchase to a new or an existing purchase order in the usual manner (PPC). Refer to "Manually Creating Purchase Orders" earlier in this chapter for instructions if needed.
- Since the battery part record is flagged to track cores, a prompt immediately comes up asking if you want to add a line for the core. Choose Yes to automatically add a line for the core charges. The quantity ordered will match the battery quantity and the price will come directly from the core record. (If this purchase is an exchange and there are no core charges, choose No.)
- When the batteries are delivered (or picked up), receive the PO lines for the battery and core parts. The system now shows on-hand levels in the battery part record (replenishing inventory) and the core part record (indicating cores need to be returned for credit).
Returning Cores for Credit
A good method is needed to track credits due when cores are returned to vendors. This can be done through purchase orders.
- Add a line for the returned core to a new or an existing purchase order, with a negative quantity (PPC). At this point, the core shows still shows quantity on-hand, but also shows a negative on-order quantity indicating the core has been returned but the credit is still pending.
- Print out the purchase order and have the vendor sign it upon receiving the returned cores (optional).
- Once the core credit has been issued by the vendor, receive the PO line for the returned core. The negative quantity received reduces the on-hand level for the core, thus completing the process.
There may be times when the vendor does not issue a credit for a returned core. When this occurs, charge the core part to the vehicle, on the same work order when the part was installed if possible. Doing so bills the cost of the core to the vehicle and relieves the inventory of that core. You can then delete the PO line created in step 1 or change the PO quantity to 0.
Reviewing the Part List for Cores
The part list should be reviewed periodically to check the status of cores that need to be returned to vendors and core credits due back from vendors. To print the part list for cores, do the following:
- Select Master > Part > List > List Inventory from the RTA main menu (MPLL).
- Enter the starting and ending part number range for cores or leave the defaults of FIRST and LAST to print the list for all cores.
- In the Core Parts section, select the Only radio button to print data for core parts.
- Choose OK to process the report and then choose to print or view the report.
- For each core listed on the report, review the data in the following report columns:
- ON-ORDR: This number indicates the number of cores that have been returned to the vendor, but a credit has not yet been received from the vendor. (See "Returning Cores for Credit" in the previous section.) Follow-up with the vendor may be in order if a negative quantity remains in this column for a long period of time or if the number of credits due continues to increase.
- TOT INVNT.: This number indicates the total number or cores that need to be returned to the vendor. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that's how many cores will be sitting in the core pile if you keep certain parts in stock. For a true indication, subtract the primary part total inventory from the number shown here. The difference between the two is the number of cores that should be returned.
Battery Cores on-hand – Batteries on-hand = Cores available for return