As parts are posted to work orders, fuel transactions, transferred to other facilities, etc., inventory levels are reduced and eventually inventory will need to be replenished. The RTA system makes it easy by tracking inventory levels and creating requisitions when quantities run low. Requisitions are requests to order more parts. The list of requisitions should be reviewed and then purchase orders can be generated for the parts approved for reorder.
Using purchase orders helps in managing parts inventory. You'll be able to keep track of the parts purchased, when they were purchased, from which vendor they were purchased, how many dollars worth of parts were purchased in a specified period of time, and which parts are on back order. Purchase orders can be created manually or automatically by the RTA system. The RTA system also has the ability to track blanket POs.
RTA's PO feature is easy to use and works so good that many companies use it not only for their part inventory purchases but also for other purchases such as office supplies, janitorial supplies, and labor!
- Review the switches in the Parts Parameters and change settings as needed (SSM, Parts Parameters tab).
- Set the "Track Backordered Part" switch as needed (SSI, Miscellaneous I tab, switch 7).
- Flag the parts that you want RTA to track as stocked parts.
- Review the reorder point for stocked parts that have the reorder quantity locked.
- Review the part vendors and pricing.
- Most likely there are old and invalid requisitions on file that were generated before you started using requisitions and purchase orders. Run the Delete Requisitions by Vendor program to delete all existing requisitions on file (STPD). This step is optional-refer to "Part Utility Programs" for information about this utility.
- Run the Create Requisition for Low Quantity Parts program (STPC) to have the system check current inventory levels and create requisitions for parts if stock is low. This step is optional-refer to "Part Utility Programs" for information about this utility.
- Process parts in the usual manner (work orders, manual charge outs, etc.).
- Review requisitions on a daily or weekly basis, depending on your stock and usage.
- Edit requisitions as needed (only if you use the Auto-Create PO feature).
- Create purchase orders to reorder the needed parts.
- Receive parts on purchase orders when the parts come in.
Purchase Order Links: