Report Wizard: Layout
Use the Layout page to create the data and look of the report. This page is different depending on the type of report you are making:
- Advanced Report: Add data fields, formulas, groups, headers, footers, and summary calculations.
- Express Report: Add data fields, formulas, groups, headers, footers, and summary calculations. Customize the style of the report or select a premade theme.
Adding data (Advanced and Express Reports)
Add data fields to display in the output of the report.
Dragging a field to the Data Field pane
Each data field is a column of associated data values; each value belongs to a row in the category. In the Preview pane, each data field has a header and some placeholder values indicating how the values from the field will look.
To show a formula instead of the data field, click the formula icon. Then use the formula editor to make a data formula.
If you have Sorts then you can group your data fields by one or more sort fields. To add a group:
For each data field, select a summary function for how the total for each group is calculated.
Choosing a summary function
In the Summarize By pane, select the check box for every Sort category to group by. By default, this groups on the unique key of the category.
Optional: To customize which data field the group category uses:
In the Summarize By pane, click the name of the Sort category.
Select the data field from the Summarize by each unique list.
Optional: In the Summarize By pane, click the name of the Sort category to customize how the group looks:
- Select the Add space before each unique item check box to add a blank row before each group.
- Select the Include Header at the beginning check box to put a group field value before each group. Choose which field to use, or click the formula icon to make a formula for the text.
- Select the Include Total at the end check box to include the data summary values, selected in step 1, at the end of every group.
Customizing the group design
Page header and footer
A page header is inserted by default with the name of the report. To remove the header, clear the Page Header check box. To edit the header, click Page Header. The following options are available:
To include the report title at the top of every page, select the Include title at the top of every page check box.
If you have an image in the header, choose whether the title is in a column to the Left or Right of the image, from the Position list. Choose how many columns the title spans.
To include an image at the top of every page, select the Include image at the top of every page check box, then click Change Image to upload an image from your computer.
If you have a title in the header, choose whether the image is in a column to the Left or Right of the title, from the Position list. Choose how many columns the image spans.
To add a footer to every page, select the Page Footer check box. To edit the footer, click Page Footer. The following options are available:
To include the page number at the bottom of every page, select the Include page number at the bottom of every page check box.
If you have an image in the footer, choose whether the page number is in a column to the Left or Right of the image, from the Position list. Choose how many columns the page number spans.
To include an image at the bottom of every page, select the Include image at the bottom of every page check box, then click Change Image to upload an image from your computer.
If you have a page number in the footer, choose whether the image is in a column to the Left or Right of the page number, from the Position list. Choose how many columns the image spans.
To include a summarization of all the data fields at the end of the report, select the Grand Total check box.
Customizing the page header
Styling the report (Express Reports)
You can do all your styling for Express Reports in the Report Wizard. To style a cell, click the cell and then choose from the available options:
- Layout Options: Hide the data rows for the selected field by selecting the Suppress Detail Rows check box. Set the pattern by which the background colors for the data rows colors alternate. See Section Shading for details.
- Font: Select a font, size, and decoration for the cell text.
- Color: Select a color for the text and for the background of the cell.
- Formatting: Select any additional formatting for the data. See Cell Format.
- Alignment: Select how the cell contents should align to the borders of the cell.
To change the text in a header or footer, double-click the cell and edit the text. To insert a blank column between two data fields, click Add Blank, then drag the column between the two fields. To resize columns, drag the left or right border of the column.
Making changes to an Express Report's design
If you want to use a premade theme, or use one as a starting point for your customization, select a theme from the Theme list.
Caution: Selecting a premade theme will override your current cell styling. If you want to undo a theme selection, click the Undo icon, or press Ctrl-Z.